Words of Wisdom from Eric Riesby Scott Edward Walker on May 30th, 2016
To Our Clients & Friends: Welcome to our weekly series “Helping Entrepreneurs Succeed.” Each week, we post a short video clip of a successful entrepreneur, investor or business leader on a variety of topics.
This week, we present startup guru Eric Ries, author of the book The Lean Startup and a smart, insightful entrepreneur; he previously co-founded and served as Chief Technology Officer of IMVU and blogs at Startup Lessons Learned.
In this interesting, four-minute clip from the May 20th episode of This Week in Startups, Eric shares some words of wisdom for entrepreneurs and founders, including the following:
- “Fundamentally, a startup is an experiment.” (at 0:13)
- “It’s a gift to see something as an experiment. You basically say, ‘look, I think this is going to work’.” (at 0:47)
- “What I am asking you to bet on is not that it’s definitely going to work, but that it’s worth running the experiment.” (at 1:04)
- “A pivot is a change in strategy without a change in vision.” (at 2:30)
- “[A pivot] is never easy; it’s always incredibly gut-wrenchingly hard – it’s always going to be super-emotional.” (at 3:12)
I hope you enjoy it. Cheers, Scott