Helping Entrepreneurs Succeed: Marissa Mayerby Scott Edward Walker on July 18th, 2012
To Our Clients & Friends: Welcome to our weekly series “Helping Entrepreneurs Succeed.” Each week, we share a favorite video of a successful entrepreneur, investor or business leader on a variety of topics. This week, we present Marissa Mayer, the new CEO of Yahoo! and a very smart engineer.
In this interesting presentation and Q&A from 2006 (courtesy of Stanford University’s Entrepreneurship Corner), Marissa shares some solid nuggets for entrepreneurs based on her early experience at Google, including the following:
- recognize that ideas come from everywhere;
- maintain an open company culture and share significant internal information;
- work in an environment with a lot of smart people;
- give your product people the opportunity to be creative and pursue their interests;
- launch quickly and iterate based on user feedback;
- make decisions based on data and A/B testing;
- set limits and constraints, which will actually facilitate innovation;
- remember that money follows users; and
- don’t kill projects, morph them.
I hope you enjoy it. Many thanks, Scott