Helping Entrepreneurs Succeed: Jason Calacanisby Scott Edward Walker on April 27th, 2011
To Our Clients & Friends: Welcome to our weekly series entitled “Helping Entrepreneurs Succeed.” Each week, we post a short video clip of a successful entrepreneur, investor or business leader on a variety of topics to help entrepreneurs succeed.
This week, we present Jason Calacanis, a highly-successful entrepreneur, angel investor and founder of Silicon Alley Reporter, Weblogs, TechCrunch 50, Mahalo, ThisWeekIn.com and Launch. In this very interesting, recent presentation at the California Institute of Technology, Jason shares some extraordinary words of wisdom for entrepreneurs, including:
- Ideas mean little – execution is everything;
- Iteration is much more important than inspiration or ideas;
- Focus is overrated – and pivoting is underrated;
- Hard work is the most critical part of being an entrepreneur, coupled with resiliency;
- Execution is critical to raising money;
- The selection of a domain name is an important “tell”; and
- When you pivot proactively, that’s when you really become a great entrepreneur.
I hope you enjoy it. Many thanks, Scott